Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Premise: 'Supplication' by Neera Kashyap, a Response by Rebecca Lloyd


Supplication by Neera Kashyap
A Response by Rebecca Lloyd

I very much liked the descriptive passages in this story because they allowed me to accompany the narrator on the journey even though it is not an environment or culture I am familiar with therefore I was able to develop a feeling of closeness to the main character in so doing, which in turn gave me empathy for her situation when it is revealed. The difference between the shrine enclosed by the silver pillars with a chandelier above the grave and the simple prayer room at the back of the shrine is striking, and the juxtaposition of these two scenes allows the reader to reflect on the different values they represent.




Reviewer Rebecca Lloyd's 'Finger Buffet' appeared in Out of Print December 2010. 



1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Rebecca for your insightful review. I guess the simple room at the back is where everything gets stripped down, and you can make a true appeal because one is raw and vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete